뉴스
2009 재외동포학생 모국방문 연수를 다녀와서-이소연

인천 공항을 나오는 첫 스텝의 느낌을 난 잊을 수가 없다. 따뜻한 온도가 믿을 수 없었고, 청바지를 입고 온걸 무지 후회했으며, 난 한국이 여름이라는 것은 알았지만, 이렇게 뜨거울 것이라고는 생각하지 못했다. 시드니 공항에서 우리는 벌써 친구로 오빠로 동생으로 만나 스스럼 없이 잘 지냈고 난 너무 좋았다. 그리고 공항에서 만난 여러 나라에서 온 친구들을 만났다. 그들도 나처럼 같은 곳에서 온 친구들끼리는 잘 통했고 이야기도 재미나게 하고 지냈다. 나는 이미 몇몇 친구와 인사를 나누며 친구가 되었다. 우린 각자의 말로 인사를 했고, 난 여러 나라 말로 인사하는 법도 배웠다.
그 무엇보다도 이 여행, 한국에서 7-8일, 평생 잊지 못할 경험이 될 줄은 그땐 몰랐다.

우리는 공주 대학교 숙소에 자정쯤 도착했다. 그곳은 우리가 앞으로 7 일 동안 머무를 우리의 고향이라 부르기로 한 장소였다. 버스 여행은 매우 길었지만, 우린 더 가까워 져서 서로 이야기하다 보니 지루하지 않고 더 친해졌다. 공주 대학은 참 좋았다.

며칠 후 우리는 서울로 이동했고, 많은 여행을 했다. 새로운 경험을 통해 나에게는 희망과 큰 꿈을 가지게 됐고, 그 희망과 꿈을 통해 앞으로 열심히 공부하며 꿈을 키워가기로 결심했다. 서울은 큰 도시였다, 난 서울의 소음과 사람들의 활기찬 모습이 너무 좋았다. 우리는3일 동안 코엑스 몰, 한국 스타일 박람회, 유람선을 탔으며, 한국의 아름다움을 보았다. 과학 박물관과, 롯데월드, 동대문 쇼핑몰에 가고, 경복궁에서는 우리 선조들의 역사와 그들의 생활방식을 체험했다. 나는 서울의 소음, 소리, 서울의 향기를 사랑하게 되었다……

벌써 여섯 번째 날이었다. 공주로 돌아온 우리는 전통적인 문화를 체험했는데, 하루는 손수건 염색과, 옥수수 따기 등, 부채를 만들기도 했다.

그리고 다음날 우린 예쁜 머그컵을 디자인해 도자기로 구우면서 나의 꿈도 미래도 열심히 구워서 마음속에 간직하였다. 우리는 말도 탔고, 서바이블 게임을 했는데 너무 재미있었다.

마지막 밤이라 그런지 우린 모두 잘 생각은 않고 함께 한방에 들어가 게임과 이야기를 나눴다. 친구들과 함께 마지막 시간을 보냈던 나는, 그 시간들을 잊을 수 없을 것 같다.

새벽5시가 되자 우린 각자 방으로 가 소지품을 싸기로 했다. 난 내 방으로 가자마자 몹시 피곤해서 2시간 정도 깜박 졸았다. 내 친구 중 몇 명은 비행기를 타려고 일찍 출발했다. 나는 작별 인사도 못해서 매우 슬펐다. 나는 내 침대에 앉아서 지난 몇 일간에 있었던 일들에 대해 생각했다. 나는 앞으로 우리가 다시 만날 수 있을까, 이런 좋은 기회가 또 다시 있을까 생각했다. 그리고 열심히 살다 보면 언젠가 어른이 돼서 각자의 자리에서 우린 다시 만 날수 있을 것이라고 생각한다.

나는 이번 여행을 많이 그리워할 것 같다. 그 이유는

첫째는, 여기서 만난 멋진 친구들. 난 진정으로 그들을 그리워할 것 같다. 우리는 모두 함께 아름다운 추억을 만들어서 절대 잊을 수는 없을 것 같다. 확실히 우린 평생 친구가 될 것 같은 느낌, 비록 우리가 지구 반대편에 살아도, 그것은 상관없다. 왜냐하면 인생의 한 순간을 같은 장소, 같은 꿈을 꾸며 함께 한 친구들이기 때문이다.

둘째는, 선생님들. 우리 모두는 그들을 사랑한다. 그들은 정말 우리 모두에게 사랑과 헌신, 그리고 섬김을 다하셨다. 나는 선생님들에게 더 많은 존경과 감사의 표시를 못한데 미안한 생각이 든다.

마지막으로 나는 내 조국, 내 고향 대한민국을 더 많이 알고 싶어졌다. 우리 역사와 문화를 더 많이 알아서 다른 나라 친구들에게 우리나라 한국을 알리고 싶다. 진정으로 내 고향 한국은 아름다운 곳이다. 그곳은 흥미로운 전통 및 문화, 아름다운 유산, 역사를 가지고 있기 때문이다.

그리고 시드니의 모든 분들 특히 나에게 이렇게 좋은 기회를 주신 교육원 선생님들,
정말 감사합니다. 아직은 어리지만 지금 있는 자리에서 작은 희망의 불씨가 되려고 합니다. 작은 불씨가 큰 산을 태우듯이 저도 열심히 부지런히 큰 산을 태울 수 있는 그런 사람이 되기 위해 열심히 살겠습니다.

감사합니다. 이소연 올림
I remember stepping outside of Incheon Airport. The warm temperature was unbelievable and I regretted the fact that I wore jeans. I had known it would be summer, but I hadn’t thought it would be this hot. I had arrived about 30 minutes ago and I was extremely excited and was really looking forward to the days ahead. I had already made a few friends and I was glad that everyone was friendly. There were many people from all around the world and I never realized Korean people would even exist in some of those places. What I also didn’t realize was that this trip, the 7-8 days in Korea, would be an experience I would never forget.
We had arrived at around midnight to Kongju University. It was a place we would call our home for the past 7 days. The bus trip was very long but I grew close to quite a number of people. It was extremely easy to make friends because everyone was eager and sociable. Kongju University was a nice place to be. We got a tour around the place and I remember thinking that it was an incredibly huge place. The atmosphere was pleasant and the food there was satisfying.
After a few days in Kongju, we went to stay at Seoul for 2 nights. I was glad we were travelling a lot. I got to feel new experiences everyday and they gave me hopes and big dreams. In just 3 days we had gone through the Coex Mall, a Korean style exposition, rode a cruise and saw the beauty of Korea, went to visit other Universities, went to a museum of science, had a lot of fun in Lotte World, shopped in Dongdaemun, got a tour around Gyeongbokgung Palace where we saw the fascinating history of our ancestral ways and the different life they experienced. Everything we did was exciting. I loved the noise, the sound, the smell of Korea. Everyday held a surprise. Even though I had the timetable, the day had its own adventures.
It was the 6th day. We were back in Kongju and time was running out. We had done some traditional things that day such as picking corn, dying handkerchiefs, and making a fan.
On the 7th day, time was inexcusably creeping past us. We went to make pottery, ride horses and play paint ball. This was fun. Back at Kongju everyone started to feel nervous. Just like me, they didn’t want to leave.
That night no one slept. I wouldn’t let myself waste time that was so limited and precious. It almost sounded ridiculous. The 15 of us, my closest friends, camped out in one room and played games and talked. Spending these last few hours with these people was time well spent and I don’t think I’ll ever regret that.

It was around 5 in the morning when people decided to go and pack their belongings. Everyone started to move out. I went to my own cabin. I was awfully tired and took a nap. I regret that. A few of my friends had an early plane to catch so they left early. I was extremely sad because we never got to say goodbye. I remember sitting on my bed and thinking everything over on the past few days. I wondered if ever we’d meet again in the future, if there would be another opportunity like this…
I have many reasons to why I should miss this experience.
Firstly, my extraordinarily wonderful friends I’d met here. I would never forget them. We would definitely be lifelong friends. The fact that they were half way across the world from me didn’t matter. All of us together had made unforgettable memories which, I am sure, would be forever in our hearts.
Secondly, the teachers. Everyone loved them. They really cared about everyone. They were never angry or annoyed. We would share common thoughts and laugh around as if we were mere friends. I wish I’d shown more respect and gratitude.
Lastly, I will miss my country, the Republic of Korea. Even though I may sound bias because Korea is my home country, but I truly think Korea is a beautiful place. It has intriguing traditions & cultures, unforgettable heritage sites and an interesting history of its own.
Also I am very thankful, especially all those who gave me this great opportunity. Thank you all very much. Although I am still young, I now have a small spark of hope. Like a little spark to burn a big mountain, I will work hard and diligently to become the kind of person that would be able to achieve big dreams in my life. I am extremely glad that this opportunity was given to me and I’m sure it would not be something easily forgotten.
THANK YOU 
So Yeun Lee